College Planning Bulletin
A monthly college planning guide for Nebraska high school students
Seniors … borrow wisely for college!
Review these tips before you decide how much to borrow in student loans:
- Borrow only what you need,even if it’s less than the amount offered in your award letter.
- Try to use your student loan money only for tuition, room and board, books, and fees. Get a part-time job during college to pay other expenses.
- Apply for financial aid each year you attend college by completing the FAFSA.
- Continue to look for scholarships while you’re in college.
- Keep track of your student loan debt throughout college at ed.gov.
How to prepare for your freshman year of college
Visit the College Students section at EducationQuest.org for tips to help you prepare for your freshman year of college. You’ll find these topics:
- Achieving academic success
- How to manage your money
- How to select a major
- What to expect your freshman year of college
You’ll also find helpful articles in the Blog section. They include:
Juniors… here’s your summer to-do list
Narrow your college choices to three or four by the time school starts. If you haven’t already, schedule campus visits to your top contenders.
Become familiar with the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). You and your parents can complete this form to apply for college financial aid on or after October 1.
Update your Activities Resume at EducationQuest.org. Include extracurricular activities, honors, awards, and part-time jobs.
Look for scholarships. Check out ScholarshipQuest at EducationQuest.org for Nebraska-based scholarships, and pay attention to scholarships current seniors have received.
Find a summer job to help pay for college expenses. Ask prospective employers if they offer education assistance programs.
May “To Do” List
___ Apply for student loans, if necessary.
___ Register for new-student orientation at your college.
___ Start a list of dorm room essentials.
___ Get a summer job to help pay college expenses.
___ Register by May 3 for June 8 ACT.
___ Continue campus visits.
___ Get a summer job and save for college.
For free help with college planning, contact EducationQuest Foundation:
Omaha Lincoln Kearney Scottsbluff
402-391-4033 402-475-5222 308-234-6310 800-303-3745 ext. 6654
888-357-6300 800-303-3745 800-666-3721
Your Journey to College Begins with US